Everything you need is in this Hyperdoc. What you will find is a task sheet in small daily chunks that includes:
- Pre-writing chart for brainstorming
- 3 mentor text poem with “lite” questions (click to see each poem’s mini-Hyperdoc)
- “Ode to Cheese Fries” by José Olivarez
- “In Praise of Okra” by January Gill O’Neil
- “Bliss Point or What Can Best Be Achieved by Cheese” by Benjamin Garcia
- Free-write prompt for brainstorming
- Rough drafting stages
- Revision list
- Final draft submission
Your students can work at their own pace to complete their final product. If we ever go back to school, we’ll have a potluck party with all the foods we are inspired by!
NOTE: I can not allow edit access to the Hyperdoc so please don’t request edit access. That will change it for everybody. What you need to do is Make a Copy of it in your Drive, rename the copy, then you make all the edits you want to your copy, and share it with your students. Please acknowledge your source for the assignment if you plan on using!
More food poems:
- “Tea” by Leila Chatti
- “Pickled Mangoes” by Rajani Radhakrishnan
- “Oranges” by Gary Soto
- “Ode to Pork” by Kevin Young
- “Fish Heads” by RA Villanueva
- “Ode to Kool-Aid” by Marcus Jackson
Thank you for reading! Do you have a story, lesson, activity, or something else to share with TeachLivingPoets.com? Be a guest author! Email me at email@example.com.
If you want to order a #TeachLivingPoets shirt, check out my awesome sister-in-law’s Facebook store Megan’s Makes and support a small business owner! Shirt options are: gray/blue/black/white/red/green/purple unisex crew-neck S-XXXL and white/black women’s v-neck S-XL. All shirts are $20, PayPal accepted.
You can follow me on Twitter at @MelAlterSmith and please tweet all the awesome things you are doing in your class with the #TeachLivingPoets hashtag!